Major Requirements For Students Declared Spring and Fall 2020
Note: Requirements are based on the term you declare your major and not on the date of your graduation. The following requirements are for students admitted to the Major during the Spring, Summer, and Fall 2020 application process, most of whom will graduate in May 2022.
The bulk of your major must be completed in the Media Studies Department. The Media Studies Major constists of 10 courses. You are allowed to take any practice of media course on our list. Your 4000 level course is a capstone course and must be a Media Studies course taught by a member of our faculty. For your remaining 5 electives, 3 must be Media Studies courses, taught by a member of our faculty, including affiliated faculty. The remaining two courses may be study abroad or courses from other departments at UVA. All courses from outside the department must be on our approved lists or approved by the Director of Undergraduate Programs prior to being accepted toward the major. Please see the Course Offerings and/or Transfer courses for information regarding course approval.
Media Studies majors are required to complete the following courses:
- MDST 2000 – Introduction to Media Studies (pre-requisite)*
- MDST 3050 – History of Media*
- MDST 3510 – Media Research* – this course should be completed in the student's 3rd year
- MDST 4510 – Capstone*
- Six (6) Electives (18 credits). Elective requirements are as follows:
- One (1) Practice of Media Course (3 or more credits) from approved list.
- Five (5) electives at the 3000 level or above (3 or more credits each). At least three (3) of the five (5) upper-level electives must be taught by MDST faculty (or affiliated faculty). A Practice of Media course taken outside the department will not count as an upper-level elective. Within the (5) electives, students must complete the following:
Please note: Your Media Research (3510) or Capstone (4510) course may satisfy the global media or diversity and inclusion requirement. If it does, you still need to complete 5 electives at the 3000 level or above.
Academic Standards: Every course that a student wishes to apply toward the major must be passed at a 2.3 grade or above. Students who are unable to maintain these academic standards will be put on probation by the Media Studies department for one semester. Students who are not able to raise their grade point averages in the subsequent semester will be asked to leave the major.
Transfer Students: Students transferring to UVA and interested in pursuing the Media Studies major must complete MDST 2000 in their first fall semester at UVA. Second year transfer students will be able to apply to the major in the Spring semester of the second year. Third year transfer students must apply to the major in the summer leading to the third year. Exceptions made only at the discretion of the Director of Undergraduate Studies.
* These required courses must be taken at UVa in the Media Studies Department.
Distinguished Majors Program in Media Studies
In addition to the Media Studies major requirements, DMP students are required to take the following additional courses and meet a cumulative 125 credit minimum:
MDST 3000 – Theory and Criticism of Media
MDST 4000 – Media Theory and Methods (this substitutes for MDST 3510)
MDST 4010 – Distinguished Majors Thesis Writing or Research Project
DMP students may count a second Practice of Media course as an elective.