Requirements for 2021 Applicants and Beyond
Note: Requirements are based on the term you declare your major and not on the date of your graduation. The following requirements are for students admitted to the Major during the Spring, Summer, and Fall 2020 application process, most of whom will graduate in May 2022.
The bulk of your major must be completed in the Media Studies Department. The Media Studies Major constists of 10 courses. You are allowed to take any practice of media course on our list. Your 4000-level course is a capstone course and must be a Media Studies course taught by a member of our faculty. Of your 5 electives, 3 must be Media Studies courses, taught by a member of our faculty, including affiliated faculty. The remaining two courses may be study abroad or courses from other departments at UVA. All courses from outside the department must be on our approved lists or approved by the Director of Undergraduate Programs prior to being accepted toward the major. Please see the Course Offerings and/or Transfer courses for information regarding course approval.
MEDIA STUDIES MAJORS ARE REQUIRED TO COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING COURSES:
- MDST 2000 - Introduction to Media Studies (prerequisite)
- MDST 3050 - History of Media
- MDST 3504 – Topics in Global Media
- MDST 3510 - Topics in Media Research
- MDST 4510 - Capstone Topics
- Five (5) Electives (15 credits). Elective requirements are as follows:
- One (1) Practice of Media Course from approved list.*
- Four (4) electives at the 3000 level or above. At least two (2) of the four (4) upper-level electives must be taught by MDST faculty (or affiliated faculty). A Practice of Media course taken outside the department will not count as an upper-level elective. Within the (4) electives, students must complete the following:
- One (1) Diversity and Inclusion Course from approved list of courses, 3000 level and above
Honors Program – Distinguished Majors Program in Media Studies
- MDST 3000 – Theory and Criticism of Media (3 credits)
- MDST 4010 – Distinguished Majors Thesis Writing or Research Project (3 credits)