The information contained on this website is for informational purposes only. The Undergraduate Record and Graduate Record represent the official repository for academic program requirements. These publications may be found at http://records.ureg.virginia.edu/index.php
For students not enrolled in the Distinguished Majors Program, the Media Studies major requires completion of ten (10) courses. Students must earn a C+ or above in all classes that count toward the major. The bulk of your major must be completed in the Media Studies Department. You are allowed to take any practice of media course on our list. Of your four (4) electives in addition to Practice of Media, only two (2) may be study abroad, transferred from another US institution, or courses from other departments at UVA. One (1) class must be from our Diversity & Inclusion approved list of classes. Your 4510 capstone must be a Media Studies course taught by a member of our faculty. All courses from outside the department (including study abroad) must be on our approved lists or approved by the Director of Undergraduate Programs prior to being accepted toward the major. If you see a course in another department at the 3000 level or higher that you would like to take with a media focus, you can have it evaluated by submitting the course syllabus and the Request to Have a Course Outside of Media Studies Count as an Elective form. If you would like a transfer credit from a US institution to count toward the major, use this form to make the request. William Little - [email protected] - is the Department Contact. You must attach proof that you received at least a C+ in all courses you want counted toward the major. A list of previously approved outside classes is available. Please click on the appropriate link below to see detailed requirements for your term.
MEDIA STUDIES MAJORS ARE REQUIRED TO COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING COURSES:
- MDST 2000 - Introduction to Media Studies (prerequisite--should to be taken in a student's 1st or 2nd year)
- MDST 3050 - History of Media (should be taken in a student's 3rd year)
- MDST 3504* – Topics in Global Media (must be taken from a Media Studies faculty member-no study )
- MDST 3510* - Topics in Media Research (should be taken in a student's 3rd year)
- MDST 4510* - Capstone Topics (should be taken in a student's 4th year)
- Five (5) Electives (15 credits). Elective requirements are as follows:
- One (1) Practice of Media Course from approved list.*
- Four (4) electives at the 3000 level or above.
- One (1) upper-level class must be a Diversity and Inclusion Course from our approved list of courses. The Capstone (4510) and Research (3510) classes may fulfill the D&I requirement, however, students are still required to have four (4) electives in addition to the Practice of Media Elective.
- At least two (2) of the four (4) upper-level electives must be taught by MDST faculty (or affiliated faculty).
- Most Practice of Media courses above the 3000 level do not count as an electives. See the Undergraduate Catalog for greater detail.
*If a MDST major takes a second topic of a core course (3504/3510/4510), the second course can count as a general Media Studies Elective.
STUDENTS ADMITTED TO THE DISTINGUISHED MAJORS PROGRAM (DMP) MUST COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING IN ADDITION TO THE COURSES LISTED ABOVE:
- MDST 3000 – Theory and Criticism of Media (3 credits)
- MDST 4000 – Media Theory and Methods (this substitutes for MDST 3510)
- MDST 4010 – Distinguished Majors Thesis Writing or Research Project (3 credits)